Your king-size bed maybe your trusted friend in terms of getting a good night’s sleep every night. However, when it’s time to move to a new home, the same bed can suddenly become the source of nightmares. After all, king-size beds are big pieces of furniture, right? While you always have the option of reaching out to professional furniture removals in Auckland for efficient services, there are also ways through which you can move the bed yourself.
Ideally, we’d recommend getting in touch with the professionals. However, we understand that not everyone’s keen on spending money on professional moving services. If you happen to be one of them, this post is for you. In this post, we’ll share with you some of the most effective tips for moving your king-size bed to your new home. So, without any further delay, let’s get right into it!
1. Start by purchasing hand tools and packing supplies
King-size beds are among the most difficult pieces of furniture to move due to their size and weight. To make the lifting and loading processes simpler, there are several packing supplies and hand tools that we recommend purchasing. These supplies and tools include a mattress bag, plastic wrap, packing tape, moving blankets and boxes, straps, ropes, and furniture pads.
While it isn’t technically impossible to move a king-size bed without these supplies, the fact is that without them, things can get quite difficult. If you don’t pay enough attention to packing your king-size bed and its various components properly, you may end up damaging it during the move.
2. Pack the bed
Once you’ve purchased all the necessary packing supplies and tools, it’s time to pack the bed. Packing a king-size bed involves performing several steps, which we’ve listed below:
- Pack removable items such as sheets, bed covers, and pillows in moving boxes. To make setting up the bed convenient after the move, we recommend labelling the boxes that contain removable bedding items.
- Next, remove the bed’s drawers to make the bed lighter to carry. You can choose to pack these drawers separately or insert them back into their respective places after the bed has been loaded onto the truck.
- Remove the mattress. Packing the mattress is an elaborate process, which we’ll discuss in the next section.
- Once the mattress is removed, take the box springs out. Be careful while carrying the box springs, as they are known for being awkward, despite being lightweight.
- Disassemble the bed as much as possible, and pack the disassembled components separately. Be careful about packing smaller components such as bolts, nuts, and screws. You’ll need them to put the bed back together once you move to your new location.
3. Pack the mattress
Once your bed and its components have been packed and are ready to be moved, it’s time to pack the mattress. If the mattress of your king-size bed isn’t in good condition, we recommend buying a new mattress. However, if its condition is fine, you need to pack it using a specialized mattress bag.
When you buy a mattress bag, you must make sure that the bag fits your mattress properly. If the fit isn’t right, your mattress may sustain damage during the move. The right mattress bag will ensure that it is protected from moisture, dirt, dust, and pests. If your move involves covering a long distance, we recommend spending big on a high-quality mattress bag.
Is a DIY move a good idea or are professionals better for the job?
This is one of the most commonly-asked questions, and the answer to this depends on certain factors. For starters, you should consider the distance. Simply put, if you’re moving within the same area, you can probably do without professional Auckland furniture movers. However, if you’re relocating to a completely different part of the city, it’s best to reach out to the professionals.
If you’re going down the DIY route, we recommend making sure that you have all the equipment on hand for moving the king-size bed. You should also ask your neighbours/friends/family members to help you out during the move, as a king-size bed is difficult to move even after all removable components have been separated.
If you’re unsure about moving your king-size bed on your own, we recommend hiring professionals to do the work for you. The professionals have the knowledge and the experience of moving king-size beds and other heavy furniture. They also have all the equipment to make the move a smooth and seamless process, and that too without causing any damage to the bed.
Picking a professional moving company isn’t an easy task these days, as there are so many companies competing with each other. However, if you really want the very best professional moving services in and around Auckland and its suburbs, choose Easy Move Furniture Removals.